Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The BUSIEST Time of the Year!

I have been MIA from the blogging world for the past little while because, well..because it's Christmas of course! There are family traditions that must be observed, school service projects to finish, gifts to wrap and deliver, etc. you know, all the same things you've been doing yourself I'm sure. Here's a little glimpse into what we've been up to for the past couple of weeks:

Zoo Lights-You may have heard the radio ads for this one-200 animated displays-over a million lights total! Not very many animals can bear the cold this time of year, but it is fun to walk through and see the lighted displays. The giant tiger and hippopotamus heads are among Bubba's favorites.

Sub for Santa-My 5th grade class combined with a 4th grade class in our school sponsored two needy families in the area for Christmas. I have done this activity with my classes for the last four years and to be quite honest, didn't expect much this year with the state of the economy and all. The kids surprised me to say the least! I had students taking back their own Christmas presents to buy for the children of these families. I don't cry much, but shed a few tears to watch my students touched by the true spirit of giving and the Christmas spirit demonstrated by the students and their parents. It feels good to be able to help give a family a Christmas where it wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I will ALWAYS do this service project.

Marchant Christmas Party-Ah the yearly talent show, nativity scene and gift exchange! Andrew did his fantastic rendition of Rudolph for the second year in a row. Why mess with perfection?The Marchants are good people and I am lucky to be counted among them.
Santa Claus-The boy got right down to business-hopped right on Santa's lap and made sure the old man knew exactly what he was wishing for this year. Then, hopped right back off and went back to playing. No lingering around, no shy smiling and watching Old Saint Nick like so many other little kids do. This is what I want, thank you and goodbye. Just enough time for mom to snap a picture.
Willard Bay Lights (plus cocoa and scones!)-It was our second year to head north and check out the light displays at the Willard Bay campground. A little cheesy, but worth the $9 per car to see the glowing pioneers and handcarts, nativity scene, Cinderella's carriage, Jazz bear, etc. The display is very Utah-centric and fun. Cocoa and scones were a bargain at only $1 each! If you dress for the weather the wagon rides are free!













Tomorrow we head home to Idaho for the holidays. I am excited to see my whole extended family and spend time with my sister and niece.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

1 comment:

Rylee's Mom said...

We are so excited too! I can't wait to have you home for the holidays-it just isn't the same without you! With all the exclamation points you know I mean it!