Sunday, October 19, 2008

Witches!

MJ and I braved Gardner Village on Friday with the kids. When I say braved, that's really what I mean because there were five children, the oldest being 4 and the youngest 6 month-ish. I jokingly referred to her as my sister wife when I realized with all the kids we looked a little like polygamist wives. Of course we had Andrew, MJ's three little munchkins and her cute little nephew Blaise came along for the fun too. I was the one who invited him, thinking, what's one more kid? Little did I know...
Anyway, I hadn't been to Gardner Village for a few years and I remember them always having the cutest Halloween displays and these amazing life-sized witches everywhere. So I talked MJ into going, any kind of field trip for her is an ordeal with three children under 4, but she relented when I told her how cute the witches were and I sealed the deal when I told her it was FREE!
So we get there and right away I knew something wasn't quite right because the parking lot was overflowing and there was absolutely nowhere to park. "It wasn't ever this busy when I came before!" I told a slightly concerned MJ. Then we realized the poor timing of our adventure coincided with the annual UEA convention, and that we weren't the only teachers out and about that afternoon. Thus: The Crowds! So, after having driven all that way, we dragged all the kids in and side-stepped our way through all the people to see the witches. They were as darling as I remembered and they even had a scavenger hunt you could do as you made your way through the village to make sure you didn't miss any. Unfortunately, it was hard getting around (I can't imagine why) and I couldn't relax and enjoy the day much because I was constantly worried about losing a child. (One of the few benefits of having only one I suppose!) "Blaise, where are you?" Carter, come hold my hand, please." Andrew, don't climb that!" Kathryn, back in the stroller, sweetie." And so it went.

Before we left, we sat on the grass and had some carmel apples. The boys got bored and started a game of throwing leaves which was fine and actually fun once they understood not to throw them in little Kathryn's face. Despite the day's obstacles (crowds, lots of children, and rumors of polygamy), we had a fun time and it really was the most beautiful fall day. Next year, I will go again for my photo ops, just not on UEA weekend!

4 comments:

Megan said...

What an adventure. i'm too afraid to venture out with my brood. And isn't that Andrew the most adorable thing ever?

Megan said...

p.s. i almost peed my pants while watching wart face dance. I'll have to bookmark that.

Mary Jane said...

It was quite the adventure! I'm glad we did it though! Good times and lots of memories. And hey, look at that picture of Andrew throwing the leaves. Talk about perfect picture! It was worth it for the picture. But then again...we could have thrown leaves anywhere! Hee Hee! It was great!

EmmaP said...

how cute! i haven't been to gardner village in forever! these pics make me so wanna go!