Monday, July 7, 2008

Fourth of July

We headed home to Idaho for a quick visit with my family over the Fourth of July weekend. (Funny how I still think of Idaho Falls as home, even though I've lived in Utah for almost 15 years!) We had a relaxing, fun time and got to do a lot of the same things I used to do on Independence Day growing up. Catching the parade, and going to Freeman Park for the fireworks brought back a lot of memories from when I was a kid. Having Andrew and Rylee there with us felt like passing on traditions to the next generation.

I think it's nice how the city of Idaho Falls makes sure that the parade stays the same from year to year. That way, even if you don't make it back for a couple of years, you don't feel like you've missed out on much. I swear the floats, bands, horses and annoying men in noisy little cars were all the same ones I watched pass by twenty years ago. Even though it never changes, I wouldn't miss watching the little IF parade for the world. What other reason would I get out of bed at 6:30 on a Friday morning to sit for two hours in 90 degree heat and have tootsie rolls thrown at my head? All kidding aside, I think it is inspiring to watch thousands of people (most of them dressed in patriotic colors) show up to watch the parade and show their patriotism. Andrew was especially excited about the semi trucks, fire trucks, motorcycles, police cars, etc. He and Rylee risked life and limb (okay maybe slight exaggeration) on several occasions to collect broken jawbreakers and half-smashed tootsie rolls from the street. Even when the backpack she had brought was almost full, Hillary just kept sending them back for more! Never stand in the way of a woman with heat stroke and her candy!

That night, around 7:30, we headed to Freeman Park, which is just north of the river from where they shoot the fireworks off. If any of you know anything about Idaho Falls, you might know that they have a pretty amazing fireworks display. It is sponsored every year by the Melaleuca Company, and set to music on local radio station. It is said that IF has the "biggest fireworks display west of the Mississippi." True or not, it's one of our claims to fame. As a teenager, my friends and I used to be so fanatical abut being close to the action that we would head to the river right after the parade, stake out our spot and hang out all day playing games, walking around, and just being cool in general. That makes me laugh-Ah the vigor of youth! Now, I am all about low maintenance, get in-watch-get out. We staked out our spot, laid out blankets and began to wait for dark when the fireworks would start. Rylee and Andrew were hyped up on Bug Juice (on purpose-so they wouldn't fall asleep before the big show), and had a blast running around, jumping on and dog piling everyone. No near death choking on lifesaver incidents occured this year (I'll comeback to that story another time), so it was fun just chatting and making trips to the bathroom line with Rylee every 20 minutes or so. Sweet!

Finally, it was dark and the introductory music on the radio was starting. (Love the announcer guy's deep, patriotic-sounding voice). Andrew hung in there for about 5 minutes but Rylee was asleep before the first song was over. She woke up a few times throughout the show so it wasn't a complete bust, and Andrew spent the majority of the time running back and forth between my mom (his Meemaw) and me, and at the end just laid down and rubbed his head on the blanket through the finale. Funny, the fireworks didn't look so bad with my son's silhouetted head and/or squirming body in front of most of them.

One of my favorite moments in the show was when they played the song, God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood. I don't care how many times I hear it, but that song always brings tears to my eyes and that night was no exception. Even the obnoxious kids sitting next to us singing at the top of their lungs could not ruin the moment for me. The combination of the moving music and the beautiful display of lights does much to bring out the patriot in me-wouldn't it be great if we all demonstrated our patriotism as passionately all year long as we do on the Fourth? That is something I definitely need to remember. I love my country and am grateful for everything that I have here but like many others tend to get caught up in negativity and complaining about hardships we go through like high gas prices and the war in Iraq. I need to put things in perspective-yes I am paying $4 a gallon for gas, but I have my own car in which to put that gas. I have a good job, a home, and the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want. When you think about the things people are going through in other countries around the world, it doesn't seem like we have very much to complain about. Just saying.
Anyway, it was a fun trip. Can't wait to do the exact same things next year-really! I'll post later about the piece de resistance of the weekend-THE PLUNGE-on Saturday at the Chipp's. I know you'll be hanging on for that one!

2 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I really miss being in IF every 4th. Loved seeing your mom last time I was there. We did do Stadium of Fire this year which was really fun.

Rylee's Mom said...

That is such a cute picture of Andrew and Rylee. They are both actually smiling cute!